The 4 Best White Noise Sound Machines for Baby (2017 Guide & Reviews)
When your baby was inside your belly, think about how warm and cozy they felt, in a tight and safe little place filled with all kinds of muffled sounds. That's what makes a white noise machine so essential for your baby.
Think about it: if you were removed from that special place, put in a wide open, lonely crib and presented with complete silence, don't you think it would be pretty unsettling for you?
So help your baby ease into their transition into life on the “outside,” by having a great white noise machine set up for them!
Quick Picks: Best Baby White Noise Machine
Baby Sound Machine Reviews
The Marpac Dohm (click here to check the price on Amazon) is one of the most popular sound machines on the market, and for good reason.
This unit is strictly a white noise machine, meaning it won’t play lullabies or any classical music, but sometimes that's just what your little one needs to fall asleep and stay asleep.
It pretty much mimics the sounds a baby would hear in the womb by creating the soothing sound of rushing air.
At first, you may be a little hesitant, but in no time your little one will seem much happier and soothed than when sleeping without it.
The machine has two speeds and a really cool fan that allows the device to create the sound of rushing air, but without being bothered by actual moving air.
You can adjust how loud you want the air to sound, and even its tone.
You may find it takes a few tries to figure out what your little one really prefers, but after a while you'll get the hang of it and end up using it for a long time.
It has a one year limited factory warranty, which offers great peace of mind.
Another great sound machine that hides disruptive noises and fills the room with soothing sounds is by LectroFan (click here to check the price on Amazon).
This machine produces a steady stream of sound and is portable so you can bring it anywhere with you.
It doesn’t just make white noise sounds (there are 10 options of white noise by the way), but it also makes a wide variety of fan sounds.
Again, it may take some trial and error to see which your little one prefers, but you get a lot of variety on this little device.
You can adjust its volume with a remote control, and utilize a sleep time in case you don’t want it running all night.
Another popular pick is the HoModics Sound Spa (click here to check the price on Amazon), which is also great for a baby’s room.
It has six recorded, soothing sounds to choose from. You can select standard white noise (which I’d suggest for the first few months), the sound of thunder, the ocean, rain, a summer night, and a babbling brook.
It can be programmed to run for either 15, 30, or 60 minutes before shutting off.
It’s small, so it can sit on a nightstand with ease, and it can run on batteries or get plugged in (which I recommend).
I have a few friends who highly recommend Conair’s Sound Machine (click here to check the price on Amazon).
They really love the sound selection they were offered (a variety of 10).
They specifically loved utilizing the heartbeat sound for the first months. It’s a sound that is so comforting to your little one!
Other soothing sounds include waterfalls, rain, and even crickets.
It also has a sleep timer, and is a great addition to any nursery night stand.
Benefits of using white noise for your baby.
As I previously mentioned, babies are used to hearing all sorts of noises while in the womb.
They heard it all—from your dogs barking to go out, to construction equipment repairing streets, and even your daily vacuum run—but most importantly, the sound of your heart beating.
They grew to recognize these sounds as something comforting because the sounds were normal to them. And so using a white noise machine has many benefits!
- Background noise. When inside the womb, the volume can be compared to the volume of a lawnmower! When all that noise is removed, it becomes way too silent for a newborn! I remember before using a white noise machine, the littlest thing would wake my son up (like opening the refrigerator door or running the faucet)! But, once he had a constant background noise, his sleep was not disrupted.
- Stress reduction. The sounds of a white noise machine are comforting to a baby, which helps them sleep better. Babies are often overstimulated throughout their day with lights, sounds, toys, and visitors, so they deserve and need uninterrupted sleep. The humming of white noise or a steady heartbeat rhythm brings them solace!
- Reduces active sleep. Studies show that babies fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer (and get a higher quality sleep) when a white noise machine is used. This encourages a less “active” sleep, which also has been attributed to the reduction of SIDS in some cases. I always noticed that my son barely moved when the machine was on, compared to how he used to toss and turn without it.
- Easy to wean. You don’t have to worry about your baby getting hooked on a white noise machine, unlike a pacifier. All you have to do is slowly decrease the noise your baby hears each night by turning down the volume subtly and making the time they are exposed to the noise shorter. So, in the long run, they won’t become overly dependent on one.
Things to look for in a good baby white noise machine.
Now that you understand the importance of a background machine, there are some qualities different machines have that make one stand out more than another.
- Auto set. I always found it helpful when my machine shut itself off. In my nursery, it was after an hour. Some parents prefer running it a shorter amount of time, while others longer. Regardless of how long you run it, the beauty of an auto set is that you don’t have to do anything!
- Volume control. My son was a finicky sleeper. Sometimes he wanted his background noise to come in loud and clear. Other times, he wanted his room filled with softer noise. That’s why it’s so important to have a volume control (and a remote volume control is just an added bonus).
- Many options. Again, what a baby prefers can change monthly, weekly, or even daily. I love how sleep machines can offer you lots of choices. From white noise to a wide selection of soothing sounds, sometimes it’s best not to limit yourself to just one setting!
If you have a little one at home (or are about to), consider adding a white noise machine to your nursery.
I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want a better night’s sleep for all members in their home, so be sure to create the most relaxing and soothing environment possible!